Before You Leave Australia
Check List for leaving Australia
and Students Returning Home
Phone – 1300 300 688
Check out www.movingoverseas.com.au
for useful products and services.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU DEPART
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOU DEPART
- Take an objective look at what you own - decide what must go and what can be left behind. DO you really need it? Hold a garage sale - sell to others. Clothes if do not need them give them to other students or charity.
- Separate into four groups - sell, give away, throw away and keep sending home.
- Get some boxes - ring Jetta Excess Baggage on 1300 300 688 and ask, “Where is the closest place to buy boxes”.
- Buy some good quality tape for packing and bubble wrap for fragile items. Start to keep newspapers for packing.
- Keep shopping plastic bags they are excellent for packing small items and dirty washing.
- Start shopping around for anything you might need to take home.
- Check that electrical goods are compatible with your home country.
- Give 28 days notice to the Real Estate Agent, landlord or housemate.
- If you are moving from a flat or house you will probably need to clean the carpets. Arrange a carpet cleaning company or hire a cleaner from your local supermarket.
- Check out the Jetta Excess Baggage website for information on Customs rules for the your home country.
- Download packing list
- If you are taking home computers, printers, T.V., stereo check to see if you have the original boxes.
- Start running down freezer stocks.
- Start to prepare mailing list for people who need your new home address.
- If you have pets and are taking them home look in the Yellow Pages under “Pet Transport” and get a quote.
- Change your e-mail to hot-mail, yahoo etc. so people can contact you.
- Decide whether you want international roaming for your hand/mobile phone.
- Contact the gas, telephone, electricity and cable T.V. companies to schedule disconnection on the day you move.
- If you are planning a garage sale pick a date at least 2 weeks before you go and arrange the advertising.
- Attend a Returning Home Program that is organised by your University.
- Contact your University about the Alumni in your home country.
- Sell your car now.
- Find new home for your plants.
- Advertise on the local store/University notice board, in the local paper or Trading Post for your furniture.
- Phone Jetta on 1300 300 688 and get a quote for sending your baggage home. Remember that air is usually cheaper then sea and air takes 5/7 days and sea 4/7 weeks.
- If you are taking home your bike go to a bike shop for bike box.
- Check out www.movingoverseas.com.au for overseas sim cards and foreign currency.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOU DEPART
- If you are not going straight home plan for travel insurance.
- Make new bank arrangements in your new home country. Make arrangements to transfer your money.
- Start to prepare a packing list.
- Make sure you are aware of Dangerous Goods that should not be packed. See Dangerous Goods
- Pay any outstanding University fees or fines i.e. library, parking etc. Most Universities will not let you graduate if you have any outstanding fees or fines.
- Make sure your passport is valid and you have the required Visas’ if you are transiting/stopping in another country on the way home.
- Make sure the University has your correct name and new address in your home country.
- Check out www.movingoverseas.com.au for foreign currency.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU DEPART
- Pay all outstanding accounts.
- Return library books.
- Request a final bill from the gas, electricity, phone and water.
- Hold a garage sale now.
- Spend time with friends you have made.
- Buy some souvenirs of Australia for your friends at home.
- Cancel any deliveries of newspapers, magazines and subscriptions.
- Take photos and get them developed before you go home. Your family and friends will want to see the photos when you get home.
- If you are flatting ask your Real Estate Agent/landlord for a reference (providing they will give you a good one). This could help in securing long-term accommodation when you return to your country.
- Submit any Medibank claims that are outstanding.
- Make time to say good farewell to friends and University staff.
- Arrange accommodation for your last nights i.e. Unilodge Apartments or friends stay
- Get some more boxes for packing.
- Check out www.movingoverseas.com.au for storage companies and box supplies.
- Double check to make sure all arrangements to disconnect Utilities i.e. phone, electricity, gas and cable T.V. have been processed.
- Finish packing - write name and address on boxes and bags in English.
- Find and DO NOT PACK airline ticket or passport.
- Redirect your mail from the post office.
- Make time to spend with friends you have made in Australia.
- Work out what you are taking on the aeroplane. Remember you are usually only allowed 20kgs and Excess Baggage on your aircraft is very expensive.
- Ring Jetta Excess Baggage at least 2 working days before 4pm for pick-up of baggage the following day.
- Make sure you have not packed more than 30kgs in any one box, bag or suitcase.
- Advise your family of your proposed arrival details in your home country.
- Arrange an inspection of your home or flat for the return of Bond money.
- Have you organised your last night’s accommodation before leaving?
- Check and see if you have a plastic bag for your toiletries on board airplanes.
- Check out www.movingoverseas.com.au for luggage and travel products.